Saturday 13 May 2017

Software archaeology 1996-1998 Community Place Conductor

Department: Computing and Communications
Lancaster University
 
Dear Dr Rodger Lea,
I’ve decided to write this short email to you as I’m interested in your past work on Community Place and other 3D World Communications work. Although most VRML development subsided prior to 2005, and the conclusion is that there isn’t yet a good way to apply 3D to the Internet that will attract large attention for extended time, I’m somehow drawn to the CP Software family.
I am using CP Browser 1.1 on Windows 10 64 bit through a 32 bit installer of さぱりMIL and all the rest are 16 bit installers. I have all of them except for one, and that is the CP Conductor 2.0. This one was stored at this link:https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20050312113420/http://tecfa.unige.ch:80/pub/software/win95/multimedia/vrml/community/conductor/
However they scrapped it and since then the Conductor 2.0 has become ultra-rare software.
Despite its limitations, it has interesting capabilities, and is the only one I do not have in the CP family of trials. Modelling VRML worlds in Sony style is definitely too ancient, but I’d still like to see it in action. CP has something special to it which I cannot explain. But currently I have no experience of its modelling capabilities. Thus, following my failure at finding CP Conductor, I would like to request this software from you, if you still have it after twenty years, or if you don’t, I would like to apologise deeply for sending this rather ‘rude’ email. There must be something in it.
Reading, your bio, I am very inspired by your current and previous work. That is something that evolves and is continuously at the forefront of technology. But still, CP was pretty good.
I also attach 4 'piccies' of CP Conductor!piccies was on your CSL page I think
With deep respect and hope,
NSK
 



 
Monday, 8 May 2017
 Hi,

as you say, it's an odd request - while Community Place and our work on VRML2.0 was innovative at the time, that was almost 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then, so I'm puzzled by your request!

I certainly don't have a copy of the software, I may be able to ask around and see if one of the guys in Japan has an old copy somewhere.

But before I do that, can you explain in a little more detail why you want it - what exactly do you plan to do with it and why are you spending time on software archeology, there's a lot of newer and very interesting software under development! :-)

regards

Rodger
 In my opinion, 20 years hasn't brought about
a lot of newer and very interesting software
but he seems to think so. I'll still find another copy without the help of successful engineers like Rodger.