Thursday 11 May 2017

Community Place Conductor


Department: Computing and Communications
Lancaster University

Dear Dr Rodger Lea,

I’ve decided to write this short email to you as I’m interested in your past work on Community Place and other 3D World Communications work. Although most VRML development subsided prior to 2005, and the conclusion is that there isn’t yet a good way to apply 3D to the Internet that will attract large attention for extended time, I’m somehow drawn to the CP Software family.

I am using CP Browser 1.1 on Windows 10 64 bit through a 32 bit installer of さぱりMIL and all the rest are 16 bit installers. I have all of them except for one, and that is the CP Conductor 2.0. This one was stored at this link:https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20050312113420/http://tecfa.unige.ch:80/pub/software/win95/multimedia/vrml/community/conductor/

However they scrapped it and since then the Conductor 2.0 has become ultra-rare software.

Despite its limitations, it has interesting capabilities, and is the only one I do not have in the CP family of trials. Modelling VRML worlds in Sony style is definitely too ancient, but I’d still like to see it in action. CP has something special to it which I cannot explain. But currently I have no experience of its modelling capabilities. Thus, following my failure at finding CP Conductor, I would like to request this software from you, if you still have it after twenty years, or if you don’t, I would like to apologise deeply for sending this rather ‘rude’ email. There must be something in it.
Reading, your bio, I am very inspired by your current and previous work. That is something that evolves and is continuously at the forefront of technology. But still, CP was pretty good.
I also attach 4 'piccies' of CP Conductor!piccies was on your CSL page I think





With deep respect and hope,

NSK

Monday, 8 May 2017